Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Liquid, left, or middle? What to do, what to do.

I used to be all about liquid layouts. But these days there are more and more people using wide screen monitors. The liquid layout design can turn ugly quick on one of these displays. If you have a lot of information on web page it seems to work okay. For me, more often then not the amount of information on a page will vary greatly.

When I see sites built on the left through a wide screen it all seems out of balance. I think the key to left built sites could be a background graphic that would balance it out.

On the other hand, I am now seeing web sites that have been developed on wide screens. When I display them on my older CRT monitor the columns are really scrunched up and hard to read. When I move the page to my wide screen it looks fine.

So now I am becoming a fan of centered pages. All the sites I have done recently are centered and usually have a width of 1000 pixels. I spent some time on http://www.statowl.com/ and looked through the information they have. Looks like 800 x 600 display modes and less are almost gone. 1024 x 768 and greater are the norm.

Even though I like strict, clean, and bare bones code I do not like to sacrifice design because of a few people using older browsers or displays. (Hmmm... wonder if the people developing sites on wide screens feel the same way about non wide screen monitors.)

Just curious as to other viewpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment